IGS is looking for a mapping geologist with demonstrable experience in Cenozoic (or Mesozoic) stratified carbonate rocks.
• Be part of a regional mapping project in the Gulf region.
• Work in a team of geologists guided by a chief geologist.
Your tasks are
• Geological field work (mapping) as per directions from the chief geologist
• Acquisition of high-quality geological data sets from bedrock and surficial rocks as per data capture scheme (includes structural measurements)
• Professional sampling of bedrock and surficial rocks for various analytical methods
• Supporting specialists (e. g. stratigrapher, resource geologist) in the field
• Quality control of own and third-party field data
• Writing of reports as required by the chief geologist
• Participation in field-based capacity building activities (mostly on-the-job training) as trainer
• Participation in and active contribution to team meetings and joint field excursions
Ideally you have
• A MA or PhD with focus on sedimentological and/or palaeontological aspects of Cenozoic stratified carbonate rocks.
• At least 5 years of post-graduate experience in geological mapping.
• Demonstrable experience with working abroad for extended periods.
• Advanced level of proficiency in ArcMap and the main components of MS Office365 (Word, Excel).
Fluency in English in written and spoken is indispensable. Additional experience in structural geology is an advantage.
Employment will be on a contract basis for approximately 27 weeks over two field seasons (probably late 2022 to early 2024). The project will operate on a 5 weeks on / 2 weeks off basis (with slight variations) with six working days per week.
The remuneration will be commensurate to qualification and experience.
Please send an expression of interest including a CV which highlights your geological mapping experience (where, when, which lithologies) no later than Wed, 20 January 2021 to email@example.com