IGS (International Geoscience Services) Ltd is a rapidly growing independent geoscience consultancy formed as a ‘spin out’ company from the British Geological Survey in 2010. We specialise in work mainly within the mineral resource sector. Our work includes large, complex, multi-disciplinary geothematic and strategic-level studies with National Governments – through their Geological Survey Organisations – and International Development Agencies such as the World Bank and DFID, as well as competitively priced, quality services to the commercial mineral exploration sector.
Further information about the company can be seen on our website: www.igsint.com
About the Role
Due to our continued success in attracting new business, a vacancy has arisen for an experienced Geophysicist to join our team at our office in Keyworth, near Nottingham, UK.
The candidate must have a minimum of 5-8 years’ experience as a professional geophysicist with a strong background in multi-sensor airborne geophysical surveys. He/She must possess a university degree in geophysics with a strong geology component and at least a Masters in geophysics. He/She should be able to demonstrate a track record of international-based applied geophysics project experience, preferably in the developing world.
A thorough knowledge of the theory and practicalities of airborne geophysical surveys is essential with a preferred expertise in magnetics and radiometrics, although preferably with a working background in gravity/gravity gradiometry and electromagnetic techniques as well. Previous hands-on experience of airborne geophysical surveys is an essential requirement. This should preferably involve the technical supervision and quality control to include evaluation and confirmation of the survey flight plans/drape surface, inspection and validation of calibration tests, evaluation of the in-field processed data sets, data levelling and compilation and final QA/QC sign-off of the final delivered data. The candidate must be able to work alone or in a team and necessarily be fluent in English, speaking and writing to a high level technical competency; ideally with a strong second language for example French or Arabic. It is expected that the candidate will be highly computer literate with a thorough working knowledge of standard geophysical and GIS software including Geosoft Oasis Montaj, ArcGIS, QGIS as applied to large airborne data sets. Coding skills in high level languages e.g. Python, R are a strong advantage. The candidate should ideally have experience integrating airborne geophysics, geology and remote sensing data for mineral exploration applications.
The work will involve periods of time overseas, from 4 – 6 weeks, and exposure to field camp conditions at an operational level; accordingly, the candidate must be prepared and fit enough to travel, have a full driving licence and a valid passport.
The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate the following:
Essential to role
- Good first degree (2.1 or above) in Geophysics or similar with strong geological component with also a MSc or PhD in Geophysics
- 5-8 years or more of postgraduate experience, particularly of working in developing countries
- Strong background in multi-sensor airborne geophysical surveys, including regional surveys
- Expertise in magnetics and radiometrics and of the theory and practicalities of airborne geophysical surveys
- Expertise in the technical supervision and quality control of airborne geophysical surveys including:
- Evaluation and confirmation of the survey flight plans;
- Inspection and validation of calibration tests;
- In depth knowledge of all aspects of airborne geophysical data processing;
- Evaluation of the in-field processed data sets submitted by the contractor;
- Final QA/QC of data.
- Highly computer literate with a thorough working knowledge of standard geophysical software and GIS as applied to large airborne data sets
- Fluency in English, both oral and written
- Proven ability to work alone or in team with good organisational skills
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Willingness to travel to developing countries, spending 4-6 weeks at a time on overseas operations
- Full driving licence and passport
- Eligible to live and work in the UK
Desirable to role
- Working knowledge of gravity, gravity gradiometer and time and frequency domain electromagnetic techniques
- Coding skills e.g. Python, R
- Experience using remote sensing data
- Interpretation and modelling of airborne geophysics
- Additional language skills
Pay and Conditions
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience, skills and professional background. This is advertised as a full-time post. IGS is a corporately responsible equal opportunities employer.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this role and want to join a successful and growing company then please submit your up-to-date CV and covering letter, which clearly outlines why you are applying for this post and how you meet the criteria described in this advertisement.
Submissions, by email to Enquiries@igsint.com, or to the following address: IGS Ltd, Geoscience Innovation Hub, British Geological Survey, Environmental Science Centre, Nottingham, NG12 5GG, UK.
Closing date: 26th November 2018.